How to paint a figure
- Paint your figure in as few brush strokes as possible.
- Paint fast without thinking too much - these figures are not the main focus of the painting your viewer will use his imagination to fill in the details.
- Mix up a fairly dark shade and in one stroke paint a carrot shape. Try to paint as one shape instred of drawing and outline and filling it in. Notice the slight slope to the shoulders.
- While the paint is still wet add in the legs in 2 strokes. Try to paint one slightly thicker than the other. Its nice to have some white space between the legs, this gives an impression of movement.
- Quickly add one stroke for the arm (don't make the 2 arms the same) and add a small oval shape for the head. Don't make the head too big it should be 1/8th of the body size (if you make it too small it's eay to enlarge but if it's too big it's difficult to make smaller!
VanGogh watercolour: Ulramarine + Paynes Grey - Watercolour paper Gerstaecker 300gm.
A figure - side view
The try a figure from the side.
Add a shadow by dragging out with clean water
|Avoid adding dark shoes|